Friday, March 9, 2018

9 of 31: High Fives & Foreheads

High Fives and Foreheads

It's the last Friday before spring break. Next week is a short week. Many of the students participating in the slice of life story challenge met in my room this morning before school for donuts and time to comment on each other's blogs. We had a writing boot camp in my eighth grade English classes today, and the kids really embraced trying out different hooks for the memoirs and reading them to each other for feedback (or at least they didn't revolt). I talked books with several students and enjoyed learning a little more about the types of readers they've grown into over the year. In short, it was a pretty neat day.

That being said, my stand out moment lasted all of 15 seconds (at the very most). I stood, Starbucks in hand, next to the door of my classroom simultaneously satisfying my hall duty responsibilities, my caffeine addiction, and my desire to greet students with a friendly smile and hello.  

And that's when I spotted him. He bounded down the hallway, earbuds in, bounce in his step, wearing an open smile that exuded what I can only assume was his absolute delight in the fact that Friday had finally arrived. 

We made eye contact and I waved him over. I asked if he finished his project for his presentation for his social studies last night. He nodded enthusiastically and so, of course, I held up my palm in the universal language of high fives so that we could celebrate. Without missing a beat he leaned in and connected his forehead with my palm. Not the usual high five, but an inventive, unique one that made me chuckle and shake me head...because it was just so him. 

So yes, high fives and foreheads. It's a thing. Or it's his thing at the very least, and he shared it with me.


Now, it's about 45 minutes after dismissal on a Friday, and I'm out of here! 


3 comments:

  1. My hand is up! Give me the forehead and have a great weekend! Liked how the interaction left with a smile and a "only him" sort of look- very descriptive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Gosh!!!! I have a boy who does the same thing EVERY SINGLE DAY at the end of the day! I didn't realize this was a thing that other kids do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words make his personality shine through in even bounding step. And I love that this move came "without missing a beat." Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete