Tuesday, March 6, 2018

6 of 31: If You Don't Like Killing and Death...Well This Post Is Not for You

"If you don't like killing and death...

well, this book might not be for you, so tune me out and just keep reading your personal reading book." That's how I started class today. 

If you think you can't hold the attention of eighth graders in the weeks leading up to spring break, start a book talk that way and see if you can't hear a pin drop as you continue to introduce the book.

Last night I finished, Scythe by Neal Shusterman, the title of which I embarrassingly mispronounced repeatedly throughout my book and while reading aloud a short excerpt in first hour. I would have continued to mispronounce the word in my next three classes had it not been for an astute and rather polite young man who came up to me and quietly approached me after my book talk to inform me that the 'c' was silent. I love that he didn't want to embarrass me in front of the class even though as soon as he pointed this out to me, I turned to the entire class and explained to everyone how to correctly pronounce "scythe" thus owning my own folly. They love catching their English teacher's goofs.


At any rate, this book is a futuristic, sci-fi thriller where "The cloud" has evolved into "the Thunderhead", an artificial intelligence, that has solved all of the world's problems: starvation, pollution and even death. As I gave a brief overview of the plot and the two main characters Rowan and Citra, I noticed even my most reluctant readers peeking out from beneath their hooded heads. That's when I knew I had them. Their usually sleepy, disinterested eyes followed my every word. Once I was finished reading the excerpt where Rowan first meets Scythe Faraday, hands flew into the air with questions and wonderings and requests to check out the book. 

At any rate, book talks are something I don't always make time for in my jam-packed 49 minute classes, and today really reminded me of their importance in creating an engaging community of readers. This is where I help kids get that just right book into their hands...especially those reluctant to pick up a book in the first place.

I guess sometimes you just have to give them a little death and gore at 8:35 in the morning.



3 comments:

  1. Funny story...one of my kiddos just returned this book to my classroom library! Guess I know what my next read is going to be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should've added an "I told you so" about the weather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great (even despite the death and gore)! :) Teacher read-alouds were my absolute favorite thing when I was in elementary school. I'm so glad your kids enjoyed it! I'll need to remember your opening line the next time I do a read-aloud! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete