Saturday, March 3, 2018

3 of 31: Geeking Out at My First EVER Writing Retreat

Geeking Out at My First EVER Writing Retreat!


I left my house a little after seven this morning and not without a touch of trepidation. You see, I committed myself to a two-day writing retreat and had no earthly idea what to expect. 

Here's the things I didn't know:
Where I was going.
Who else would be there.
What was expected of me.
What exactly I would write about.
Whether or not there would be reliable WiFi.
Whether I would have a single or double occupancy room.
The type of amenities I might enjoy at Toddhall Retreat Center.

Clearly an anxiety inducing number of unknowns.

Fast forward a little over twelve hours.

Here's what I now know:
Toddhall Retreat Center is in Columbia, IL (not to be confused with Columbia, MO home of the Mizzou Tigers) which was about a 40 minute drive from door to door. I enjoyed a lovely morning road trip alone in the car, coffee in one hand, steering wheel in the other. A blue sky and shining sun greeted me as I crossed the Mighty Mississippi River. I pulled off the highway and wound my way down a narrow drive shaded by a canopy of trees and was here before I knew it (thank you Google maps).

Ten amazing writers, poets, aspiring novelists, bloggers, paper writers, memory book makers, teachers (both retired and working), musicians, mothers, grandmothers, aunts, a father, and new-found friends gathered in the Thomas Cranmer Conference Room, an octagon-shaped space with twelve tall windows overlooking the 40+ acres of surrounding woods. All ten possessed a unique story and shared desire to work on a writing project of their own choosing.  

Nothing. Nothing was expected of me though I was invited to join two other writers to meet and discuss our writing. I was both inspired and humbled by the skill and vulnerability my two writing partners shared with me.

Early in the day, I harbored lofty aspirations of completing two, long overdue writing projects. I hoped to leave Sunday afternoon having written the narratives of two life-changing trips I enjoyed last summer while digitally arranging all my photos in conjunction with each story. I struggled to find my footing, but once again I was inspired by the first paragraph of the first page of J.K. Rowling's first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and from there, my project took off. I've decided to write from a third person point of view, and after many hours of writing and revising, I'm hoping to be halfway finished with one of the memory books before checkout.

Go figure. WiFi here is stronger than that of the middle school where I teach. How can that be possible in the middle of the woods???

Everyone has his or her own room despite each room being equipped with two tiny beds that look to be better suited for someone the size of a house elf in Hogwarts.

There is a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, fireplace, bathroom, and basement here in the Cranmer (is this evoking the image of Jerry Seinfeld's crazy-haired sidekick Kramer or is it just me?) Conference Room. My personal room boasts the two tiny beds mentioned above, a chest of three small drawers, a small table and nightstand sandwiched between the beds, and a full bathroom complete with towels and everything. There is no television, and I don't miss it even a little. The best amenity by far, however, is the company of the interesting, inspiring, and sincere people seated around me.

So yes, I'm geeking out right now at my first ever writing retreat. It's the best kind of sleepover surrounded by other nerdy word lovers! 

I'm so glad I found the courage to commit.

4 comments:

  1. I have never been on a writing retreat! This sounds like it would be way fun (in spite of the tiny beds)! I hope you get lots of writing done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds amazing. I love how courageous you are to venture out into so many unknowns. A brave writer, indeed. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear all about it! I love the use of the list in this slice. I have similar "I wonder" thoughts running through my head whenever I try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I was one of the other writers!

    ReplyDelete