Wednesday, March 28, 2018

28 of 31: Eat-It-All


My sister's husband has night class on Wednesdays, so I usually try to stop by and hang out with her and my little nephew. Today was no exception. 

My nephew greeted me, "Hi Aunt Biz, play-doh." Strapped into his highchair, he was clad in a plastic long sleeve shirt. I couldn't help but briefly say hello to my sister (isn't that always the way...ignore the adults in favor of the adorable crazy-haired toddler) and head straight over to my nephew, whom I affectionately refer to as Bug. In no time, he had me rolling balls of play-doh so that he could smash them with his tiny hands into pancakes. 

All too soon, his mama began singing the clean-up song. 

I cannot lie. I heartily chimed in at the chorus and did my part to help put the play-doh away and get going. You see my sister texted me earlier in the day asking if I wanted Chick-fil-a for dinner. 


This is not the first Wednesday we've taken Bug to Chick-fil-a. In fact, it might just be our new Wednesday night routine.

My nephew is surprisingly well behaved for a 22 month old. We sat down and he ate all his chicken nuggets and french fries. When his mama told him the french fries were all gone, he quickly proceeded to ask, "See? See?" as if he wasn't quite sure he believed his mama's story. 

Ever the friendly little guy, he said hello to the retired couple who sat down next to us. Before you know it, they had struck up a conversation, and the gentleman told my nephew that he was the train conductor at the zoo and that he hoped to see my little nephew at the zoo soon. Well, likity-split, his mama turned to Bug and asked him what a train conductor says. Without missing a beat, my sweet nephew responded emphatically, "All aboard!" We all cracked up.

Once we finished eating, and since this is not our first rodeo at Chick-fil-a, we traded the book that comes with a kid's meal for an ice cream cone with the cone on the side. Don't worry, he already had a copy of that book (have I mentioned we've been to Chick-fil-a before???). 

The highlight of my day was watching him eat a deconstructed ice-cream cone. It did not take him long to figure out how to spin the cone around in his hand as he took small bites from the top edge of the cone pausing every once in a while for a spoonful of ice-cream that immediately evoked his cherubic and hilarious brain-freeze face. Ice-cream is still a little too cold for him. 

As I sat across from him, I watched in awe as he negotiated his nibbles and suddenly realized the cone had the words, "Eat-It-All" stamped around the top. I'm not making that up. If you look closely, you might be able to make out T- ALL with the top bitten out of the ALL in the picture below. 

Heck yeah he ate it all, and I loved watching every minute of it!


3 comments:

  1. That face. That hair. Intense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so adorable! No wonder you skip over the greeting to your sister to spend time with him. I loved every moment of this slice from the play dough to the nuggets and fries to the "All Aboard" and the Eat-It-All ice cream cone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm printing this for Wyatt. It made me cry. You encapsulated our fun little evening so vividly and with so much love! It's refreshing to stop and see how the simple things in life can bring people such joy.

    ReplyDelete