Thursday, March 8, 2018

8 of 31: Coffee with an Old Friend

Coffee with an Old Friend


So I met with an old friend after work today. Wait that's not quite right. He's one of my oldest, best friends from college. And we met for coffee after work tonight. It had only been a few weeks since I'd last seen Jon, but that had been at dinner club. Dinner club is the joining of three couples at new, up and coming restaurants around the St. Louis area on a monthly basis. Conversation usually revolves around ordering different dishes and whether or not we have room for dessert. Last month, we even entertained the idea of a dinner club road trip...watch out, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, we just might give you a run for your money. 

Yet this was the first time that Jon and I had the chance to chat on our own since last summer.

I forgot how much I appreciate his taste in movies. Though we usually vehemently disagree on what constitutes a "good" movie, as I tend to lean toward blockbuster comic book heroes and he usually gravitates towards Indy award-winning films, he actually saw Black Panther before me. When he asked me what I had thought of the movie tonight and I had to admit I hadn't yet seen it, I was reminded of just how well he knew me. We chuckled that this might be the first and only time in our 22-year-relationship that he saw such a film before I. That's how I know we're going to be friends forever. Well that and we both love to eat!

At any rate, we sipped our lattes and chatted about school, politics, relationships, and life. We sighed when our cups were empty and stood in line for another latte just so that we'd have the excuse to keep talking. I was jealous because his spring break just started and I had a long week of parent-teacher conferences to tackle before I could say the same.


It's funny how you can marvel over how much you've changed in twenty-two years, and yet appreciate just how much those long ago moments influenced the person you are right now. I hope that everyone has someone who has known them that long so that they have someone to remind them of just how far they've come. 

The other thing 22 years will remind you of is that you have a much harder time falling asleep after two lattes with all that caffeine!

Next time, I'll order decaffeinated.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great meet-up. There is something wonderful about catching up with an old friend. Hopefully you can do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post so much. A friend of mine who conducts interviews always asks who is their oldest friend. To him, it shows that you know how to stay committed and that someone in the world must love you enough to put up with all those changes. I think long friendships speak a great deal about a person. It seems like a beautiful friendship. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee with Jon! What a delight! Friends like him are a blessing. However, I will say caffeine that late is a rookie mistake. We need a coffee date soon!

    ReplyDelete