Saturday, March 10, 2018

10 of 31: The Last Page

The Last Page


There is just something profoundly pleasing about reading the last page of a book. Even if it is John Green's latest and my eyes are swollen, my nose is raw, and I now need to add Puffs Plus to my shopping list having just pulled the last tissue from the bottom of the box. 

Despite the emotional upheaval involved, I love the moment of finality when I fold a book closed for the last time. That moment when I linger between fiction and nonfiction, when I contemplate the ending and cling to the characters before gently dismissing them from my mind and returning to the nonfiction of my life.

And today, my nonfiction involved dusting, washing my coffee mug, vacuuming, and filing my taxes. 

It's no wonder I wanted to linger there in that last page for just a little bit longer.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, have a problem letting go of beloved characters. The worst is when a favorite series with amazing recurring characters ends. I want to linger in those stories for just a bit longer. Back to reality though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have a problem letting go of beloved characters. The worst is when a favorite series with amazing recurring characters ends. I want to linger in those stories for just a bit longer. Back to reality though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that metaphor of our lives as nonfiction. I still haven't read John Green's new book, but it is on my shelf. So much reading to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was it Turtles All the Way Down?! I really loved that book - it was one of his deeper ones, in my opinion. My favorite John Green book is An Abundance of Katherines.

    ReplyDelete