Sunday, March 3, 2019

3 of 31: A Pretty Perfect Sunday Morning

My husband introduced me to CBS Sunday Morning nearly eight years ago. Ever since, it has become our Sunday morning ritual. We enjoy our coffee as we ease our way into Sunday, the final day of our weekend with Jane Pauley though my husband still laments the departure of Charles Osgood.

Today, coffee in hand, we enjoyed segments on documentaries, Julianne Moore, Chang and Eng and their descendents, the first contribution of author, David Sedaris, and cheese. Who doesn't love cheese, whether you are lactose intolerant or not?!?

But sometimes, just sometimes, my favorite part of the show is the few moments between segments when commercials interrupt the show. Remember actual commercials? Having to entertain yourself for the few moments before your show comes back on. The time where you can run to the bathroom or refill your coffee cup. My husband mutes the television and sometimes we sit in silence just thinking about the show or the rest of the day or ruminate about our pending need to take the litany of prescription medications advertised in every single commercial break. Sometimes we discuss what we'll cook later in the day, and by we, I mean he. On today's menu: lamb stew, French bread with Cambozola cheese (a delicious spreadable cross between Brie and blue cheese in this cheese lover's humble opinion). Sometimes we share our thoughts or plan trips based on the segment that just ended.

On this Sunday morning, I find myself staring out the window at the snow falling. It is not the big, fat flakes that I find so mesmerizing and beautiful. It reminds me more of rain, but the raindrops are white and the window has that blurred effect where you can see the bare tree branches in the distance as though staring through a wedding veil. It's almost hypnotic and the perfect compliment to the stew my husband is currently preparing.

It's a rather lovely and cozy way to start the day.


6 comments:

  1. My husband and I did the same thing! LOVE SOL for bringing our comforting and common routines together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz--I almost always get a writing idea from that show. I hate to miss it. (Who knew that mad skills at cheese-making could help somebody get a green card?)

    Could that white stuff give us another snow day? I doubt it, but am nurturing a small kernel of hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sioux - thank you for reading and commenting! Are you taking the SOL Challenge? What is your blog? How can I find yours?

      Delete
  3. Routines can be comforting. Slow mornings are sweet. I lnodded when you wrote that by "we cook" you mean "he." My daughters always laugh when I say "we cooked" when it was actually my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure where my hate for commercials came from, but it is deep and intentional. High five that my husband will also be the one doing the cooking tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this slice--I can just picture the two of you cozied up with your Sunday morning ritual.

    ReplyDelete