Thursday, March 28, 2019

28 of 31: Slice Slice Baby

I stood in a fellow ELA teacher's classroom before and after school today co-hosting our Slice of Life Story Challenge informational meeting for 7th and 8th graders.

Almost every seat was filled with smiling, eager young writers who have pledged to participate in the SOL challenge in April. So far 47 students have made the official pledge! My esteemed colleague put together an awesome slideshow explaining the challenge entitled "Slice Slice Baby," a Vanilla Ice throwback that makes me smirk every time I say it. She walked students through the process and I worked the crowd as students created their blogs. If there was a problem, yo we'd solve it.

Students filled out signs for their lockers to proudly display their commitment to blogging in April. To the extreme, they hung their signs like vandals. (the good kind of course)

It's always a bit unnerving to try to drum up interest and talk young writers into taking this challenge. With the promise of donuts once a week and some cool swag and prizes at the end, we had our biggest turn out yet! Will it ever stop? Yo I don't know.

I have to offer my sincerest gratitude to my teaching partner for cajoling me into taking this challenge three years ago and for spearheading all the technical troubleshooting for our kids the last three years. She is amazing, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't be typing right now if it weren't for her.  She's quick and nimble.

So slice, slice baby (can you hear the bump bumpa bump bump ba ba that follows?)!!
It's a heck of a concept!

3 comments:

  1. Awww! This makes me so happy for you! What fun month you have ahead!!! Best of luck to your kiddos and to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best to you and your students! Slice, slice baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are a hoot! I'm totally stealing the posting signs on locker ideas when students do a challenge or writing contest entry... love it!

    ReplyDelete