Tuesday, March 26, 2019

26 of 31: Postcard Magic

The cardstock mesures five and a half by four and a quarter inches. It's a aqua and gold colored. A record album, or more aptly, half a record album fills its left side. "FOR THE RECORD YOU ARE AWESOME!" is printed in large white letters. It's a postcard I received in the mail.

Seemingly, you might not think much of this postcard, but you soon will. A friend and colleague of mine made it her mission to send a postcard to someone each and every day for a year just to let him/her know that she valued the recipient. To show her gratitude.

Now, I knew about the postcards since a writing retreat I attended quite a while back. I was both awed and inspired by the the unique design she created and by the message she was sending. I was also quickly humbled thinking there would be no way I could send that many postcards. I just didn't know that many people.

Secretly, I pondered the possibility of ever receiving one of these prized postcards.

And there I stood at my mailbox pulling out the weekly advertisements, bills, and credit card offers from its belly when this small card slipped its way out of the pile. I practically squealed in delight. Seriously, I might have even jumped up and down. I quickly flipped it over to read the personalized message on the back. Her handwritten note expressed her gratitude for our paths having crossed and even mentioned that she has enjoyed our slicing challenge.

You know how there are moments when you are so thankful and humbled by the small actions of others? The moments that reaffirm your faith in human beings. Well, this was one such moment, and so my grin is ear to ear. The postcard found a proud and prominent place on the front of my refrigerator. And I had a moment more worthy than most to slice about.

So in the sage words of the sender printed at the bottom of her postcard..."Happiness is contagious. Be a carrier."

3 comments:

  1. You're a gem! Thanks, buddy! Mail and gratitude are an awesome combo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz--You are soooo worthy of a postcard... and Tracy is contagious. Her laughter. Her generosity. Her joy. Her determination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I was a lucky recipient as well...it's the best!

    ReplyDelete