Thursday, March 14, 2019

14 of 31: Spring Break Eve

The hum of the custodian's vacuum fills my ears. The slightly spicy tinge of teenage sweat still permeates the air. My reserves of energy are dwindling with each tick of the clock above my door.

It's Spring Break Eve. The last day of school before Spring Break officially begins tomorrow. I am still in my classroom at 4:46 when school dismissed an hour and half ago.

I stayed to grade those last minute revisions students made to their poetry anthologies to boost their grade. And then I stayed a little longer to send those last minute parent emails that would both improve and possibly ruin some students' spring breaks. Then I stayed a little longer to read all the emails that I could because my plan is to unplug this Spring Break, which means no school email. Then I stayed a little longer to send our team's weekly update to all our students' parents. Then I stayed to grade thinkbooks (composition notebooks) because I just have two classes left and I don't want to lug them home.

But alas, I'm reserves have run dry, so I'll stay just a little longer to finish this slice, pack up those 40 thinkbooks, my computer and a few personal reading books I just purchased at our school's book fair, before scooting out the door and down the road.

With school in my rearview mirror!



No comments:

Post a Comment