Thursday, March 21, 2019

21 of 31: Sore Legs, Taxes, & A Best Friend

I had fully prepared my slice for today. I was going to complain at length about my sore legs. You see, I picked up sticks in my yard for five hours two days ago. I filled four trash bins. I probably did over one hundred squats. Needless to say, I'm walking funny and climbing steps is out of the question.

But then, I did my taxes, or more accurately, my best friend of nearly 30 years did my taxes. Though she is not an accountant by trade and has more on her plate than any human should, she made time for me to come over to her house this afternoon and act as my personal accountant.

This seemingly simple act entailed more than one might imagine. I won't go into detail about all the demands being made of her, but suffice it to say that she went out of her way to continue a tradition we've shared for the better part of the last decade. That is a pittance of what we've shared over the years, and perhaps, she looked forward to the excuse to hang out as much as I did. Either way, it was a powerful reminder of the power and importance of friendship in my life. I am in awe of her and her ability to juggle her own responsibilities and then add mine to the rotation as well.

The icing on the cake. She and I took on her twin sons and husband, 3 on 2, in a game of driveway hockey once we finished filing my returns, and we won. I felt like I had already won since I'll be getting a refund this year, but I won't lie; I gloated in front of her boys...all three of them...for winning the game as well. I had to give myself credit for moving like I did considering the state of my legs.

Yep, we still got it.
BFF and Ever!!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats- everything is better with hockey! Glad your legs rose to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete