Monday, March 25, 2019

25 of 31: Perfect Ending to a Long Day

Today was the first day back to school after a very relaxing and quiet spring break. Needless to say, my system went a bit into shock as hundreds of 8th graders filled the hallways before school. Their chatter and hugs and exuberance at being reunited brought a smile to my face. I loved that they were interacting and talking with one another. On any other morning, half would have in earbuds and eyes glued to screens, but on this morning, they yearned for that personal connection.

By sixth hour, we were all zombies. My throat was a bit sore. I decided to pick back up with our read aloud and probably talked more today than over my entire spring break. They, too, seemed a bit drained, and all that energy from the morning had worn off around 3rd period.

So it was a long day, but a good day, too. I had missed my students and enjoyed hearing about their various adventures over break.

But the best part of my day was without a doubt when my nephew Landon, who is in town on his own spring break, showed up on my doorstep with hanging plant in hand. Aunt Julie drove him two hours so that they could hit the city sites and stay with us for a couple days. She couldn't wait to tell me that as they picked out a hanging plant for my front porch, Landon had commented that it didn't matter which they selected since none were as good as his Aunt Liz. That's me in case you are wondering.

My heart melted.

And just like that, what was a good day became a great one!

2 comments: