Sunday, March 4, 2018

4 of 31: Writing Hangover


Day 2 of my first ever writing retreat (see yesterday's post if interested in reading more about that) at Toddhall Retreat Center in Columbia, IL.

I don't remember waking up. I felt more like a coffee maker switching on. I slept soundly one moment and then next, my brain percolated and began outlining possible blog posts before I even had time to register where I was and why my bed was so tiny. 

I didn't have my usual groggy, foggy, morning brain, which craved caffeine and required coffee before being able to fully function. Instead, stories spun around my mind occasionally bouncing off the backs of my eyes. At least, that's what it felt like, and I was annoyed. I normally awake around the time CBS Sunday Morning starts. But wait, there's no sun yet. That inky gray sky still lingered outside my window. I frantically tapped my Garmin to reveal the time: 5:03 am. CBS Sunday Morning wouldn't start for another three hours. Why the heck was I up? This was earlier than my alarm clock goes off on a work day for Pete's sake. 

Breakfast isn't until 8, and I went to bed a mere six hours ago. Why could I not calm my mind at this ridiculously early hour? I readjusted my sleep mask tugging it back down covering my eyes and rolled over pulling the covers tightly around me and feigned sleep.

Stop brain, stop. But it wouldn't. It continued oscillating between this very post and the writing project I started yesterday and worked on for the better part of nine hours. I tossed, I turned, I just couldn't manage to coax myself back to sleep.

I gave in and got up.

I guess this is what it feels like to have a writing hangover!

2 comments:

  1. It makes me laugh to read how you fought the flow of words and in the end, surrendered. Funny that at a writing retreat you would resist so much against what came so naturally. We all have our inner battles that keep us from the sweet surrender. I'm glad you finally gave in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there! I hate it when my brain won't let me sleep in...I felt similarly this weekend. The worst is when you have crazy dreams while you're sleeping and wake up in a funk!

    ReplyDelete