Wednesday, March 21, 2018

21 of 31: Out of the Mouths of Babes

Out of the Mouths of Babes

So I met some friends of mine for dinner tonight. This entailed one couple, their three kids, and another friend. It was the perfect venue. There was a free pinball machine and firepit at the restaurant, which afforded the kids ample entertainment as the adults visited and caught up on the goings on in each other's lives. 

We enjoyed pizza and wings and the kids definitely enjoyed having the run of the establishment. It wasn't until dessert that I fully understood the beauty and hilarity of little people.

No sooner had my friend's husband and I been discussing the funny things that kids say than their middle child (all of 7 years) looked over at his mother with full whipped cream goatee and said that he couldn't wait to be fat like his mommy. 

Now his mommy isn't fat. She isn't a waif, but she is nowhere in the realm of fat, yet her son managed to look at her and say that. I can't help but wonder what shaped his ideas about fat as I chuckled into my napkin so as not to encourage his diatribe. 

That's when I realized that babies have no idea of what they say as amusing as it may be, and that they absolutely have no understanding of the hurt feelings they may cause.

Yet out of the mouths of babes comes some of the most entertaining if not heart wrenching sentiments ever heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment