Friday, March 23, 2018

23 of 31: Float Tank Friday

FLOAT TANK FRIDAY

So today is the last official day of my spring break, and I've been grounded the last three days. That's right...grounded.

You see, I've had electricians and inspectors at my house holding me captive for the last three days. I've actually been appreciative of the overcast rainy weather; otherwise, I might be a little more grumpy and less inclined to use funny electrical puns...get it...grounded as in how I was held captive in my own home until lights were connected and electrical boxes passed inspection having been properly "grounded".

At any rate, our very skilled and attentive electrician left the house today around 3, which left me just enough time to squeeze in the elliptical machine and treadmill at the gym before my 5:00PM float.

No, not rootbeer. I'm talking fully enclosed float tank. I am a full-fledged advocate of the float spa where you submerge yourself in a tank that looks like something straight out of Alien filled with hundreds of pounds of epsom salt along with gallons and gallons of water, which is what allows you to float.

I prefer lights out and no music. I appreciate floating while focusing on my breathing until I cannot tell where the water ends and my body begins, which is totally the point. It is like sensory deprivation. When you open your eyes it is equally as dark as when they are closed and you have a hard time discerning if you've been in there five minutes or five hours. If you are able, you can achieve a level of meditation that feels quite like sleep. In fact, I feel like I've fallen asleep before while floating on more than one occasion. But that isn't even the best effect, when you emerge after having relaxed your muscles during a 60 minute float, you feel more relaxed than the best massage I've ever had.

And I've had some excellent massages.

Don't get me started on the rainforest shower head you use before and after. It is the epitome of relaxation after being reborn out of a float tank, which is exactly what it feels like to open the tank lid into a dark room while it emits its eerie glow. Gingerly, you step out into the world and touch cold tile floor. It's the closest thing to birth an adult can experience. The air is cold, your senses are upside down, and it takes a minute to wash off the salt and return to yourself underneath a blissfully warm shower.

That being said, clearly, it was undeniably the best part of my day. 

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you try having your own Float Tank Friday! I'd have to also say, go at least twice to give it a fair chance. The first time is otherworldly, and the second time allows you to really figure out if it is something you'll like. 

Happy floating!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm intrigued! I do need a massage. Any thoughts on runners using a float tank? I'm assuming it's just great for recovery. It sounds like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of such an amazing thing, but it really does sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete