Saturday, March 9, 2019

9 of 31: Float Tank

I took my sister to a float spa today and we enjoyed a 60 minute float. I enjoyed the more restorative nap I've ever had floating in complete darkness. Today I also learned you could plug in your phone and listen to your own music. Hello Van Morrison Pandora Playlist. As I stepped into the tank and pulled the lid closed it was as if I was sealing myself in my own sci-fi cryotank like Ellen Ripley in Alien

Once the light went out, I might as well have been in deep space as I stilled my body and focused on my breath. "Into the Mystic" softly played just loud enough so as to soothe and not a distract thanks to the earplugs that kept the 6,000 pounds of Epsom salt keeping me afloat out of my ears. It felt like I had just closed my eyes when the eerie blue light and tank filter kicked on jarring me out of the most wonderful meditative slumber.

As I stepped out of the tank and turned on the rainforest shower, my neck loose, the tension in my back and mind literally washed away, I was reminded of the simple joy and peace found in meditation and relaxation.

If you haven't tried a float spa yet, find one near you and go twice. The first time is just so bizarre like a psychological experiment of sensory deprivation. That second float will definitely be enough to figure out if you enjoy the physical and mental benefits of a good float...and I'm not talking the rootbeer kind!

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of one yet. I will be on the lookout. You make it certainly appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a float spa, but it sounds awesome! What a great way to recharge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't aware of such a thing. Perhaps it's a bit like the feeling of scuba diving in the ocean. That to me is relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend swears by this...your description is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz--I've had a gift certificate for one for forever. I've always been eager... just haven't made the time for it. Now I definitely will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby loves these and I think you're both crazy!

    ReplyDelete