Wednesday, March 13, 2019

13 of 31: Frustrated

Upon arriving to school and booting up (how about that for throwback) my computer, I promptly checked my email. I noticed a subject line reading "Certified Staff" in my inbox from the lead administrative assistant in our building. I clicked on said email and proceeded to read a brief message requesting all certified staff check their mailboxes.

I surmised that an updated district calendar had been placed in my mailbox since we have to make-up a snow day. As I walked down the deserted hallway I entertained a second hypothesis. Maybe there was chocolate in my mailbox since this afternoon was our second round of parent-teacher conferences. Our super supportive administrators and counselors occasionally leave treats with punny notes meant to boost our morale and sometimes our waistlines. I love them.

Upon entering the office and wishing the ladies bustling about preparing for their day a good morning, I grabbed a rather thick envelope from my mail slot emblazoned with our district's logo.

So much for a sweet treat.

Instead, it was information regarding next year's salary structure.

I have read the enclosed letter three times now, and I'm still not sure I understand exactly what it means. It's frustrating. And then it hit me, this is what my struggling readers must feel like all the time. To sit and struggle and actually read every word without getting to a bigger picture. Reaching for meaning that slips right through their fingers like wisps of smoke. Poof and it's gone.

Unfortunately, so is my raise...I think.

(*note - I will use a strategy I offer my students and talk with someone tomorrow who also read said letter and compare our thinking to clear up any misconceptions, which I bet I have!)

3 comments:

  1. So real. Our union reps are great about summarizing everything for us, but it's tough! I love how you brought it back to how you would explain it to the kids. So often, we ask kids to do things we wouldn't do ourselves, but here you have a great example for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very powerful that you immediately thought empathically about your students! What a great teacher you must be. Love your second hypothesis - sorry about the lack of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete