Saturday, March 2, 2019

2 of 31: Spoiler Alert

Spoiler alert!
If you are currently binge watching or intend to watch the show Dexter. Stop reading immediately. I cannot promise that I won't ruin it for you.

Here I am sitting on my couch, tissue in hand, gently wiping away the tear or two that I shed for a serial killer, and I had to stop and take stock. I just completed the show's final episode, which means I viewed 8 seasons, which each included 12 episodes, which equates to roughly 96 hours of a television show in just under a month. That is equal to 4 entire days of my life spent rooting for a serial killer to murder other killers and assorted bad guys and chop them up and dump them in the ocean. Is it just a coincidence that this is the Slice of Life Story Challenge and Dexter's boat was named Slice of Life? Should I be worried?

I compacted 8 years worth of blood spatter into a mere pint bag. I must admit, I feel a certain sense of relief. He was a complex and compelling character...oh and there was just something about his voice. But still, despite shedding a tear for old Dexter, I'm quite ready to get my life back.

Netflix and I have a love-to-hate relationship. I love Netflix, but sometimes hate myself for the compulsion I feel to watch just one more episode. Turns out that Dexter's uncontrollable impulses are something I could relate to quite easily. Perhaps my dark passenger is the remote control that I just couldn't put down until I binge watched each and every season.

But, I am now free to pursue other guilty pleasures like reading an actual book and practicing yoga, which will be very important as I recover from a rather sedentary February seeing as how I barely moved more than five feet from my couch and t.v. at any given time.

So thank you Dexter, it's been a wild ride, but it's time to put down the knife...I mean remote.


5 comments:

  1. Had to stop reading...haven't watched Dexter, but your first couple of lines make me want to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh!!!! I can't believe you finished! It is still my heart, and I had NO IDEA the boat was called that. How damn poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good! I loved all of the tie-ins with your own "dark tendencies" and Dexter's own proclivities. So glad you're slicing again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun read that gives such a great glimpse into your personality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz--I loved the last line especially. He WAS quite an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete