Monday, March 18, 2019

18 of 31: Headphone Wearing Husband

Today's slice was inspired by a moment I encountered last night, which I am still thinking about and smiling about this morning, so I knew I just had to write about it.

My husband and I met a little later in life. We were thirty-four at the time we met, both having never been married previously, we took our time...7 years in fact, to tie the knot. We teasingly refer to each other as late bloomers...really late bloomers. So though we have been married just under a year and known each other for almost 8, we are still in the discovery mode as evidenced by last night.

You see, my husband is the chef in our family. He enjoys cooking in a way that I just don't. I joked that I managed to fool him for the first three years we were together without lying to him. He thought I couldn't cook, which I never stated and slowly, I would contribute a meal here and there, and when he found them palatable, he would look at me with his big, blue eyes registering shock and say, "Wow. I didn't think you could cook," at which point, I would smile and inform him that I never said I couldn't cook, I just didn't want to deprive him of something he really loved.

That being said, what he is not, is a dancing machine...at least, that is what I thought...while I, on the other hand, very much enjoy dancing.

So back to yesterday evening, my husband donned his earphones so he could listen to music as he cooked and I sat on the couch reading. (I know...he is the most thoughtful and considerate man ever - I acknowledge this regularly.) He was listening to one of our newly discovered bands that we both somehow missed in the 90s called Dispatch and the live version (found on youtube) of their song "Bang Bang." It is an awesomely infectious song.

There I sat on the couch secretly eyeing my pseudo-hippy husband above the cover of my book as he mouthed the words to the song. Slowly, he started to move in a somewhat rhythmic fashion as he flambeed the carrots. Hips swayed, he rotated his shoulders in circles while sort of stepping back and forth. He dances like I cook...rarely. My smile literally stung my cheeks it stretched so wide. He looked over and met my eyes right before pouring the sherry on the carrots; he knows I love to watch the flames rise over the pan. It was the perfect finale to his performance.

He stated a little later that the roast in the crockpot was umami and the carrots would complement it nicely. I stated that he looked like he had a little umami-groove in him as he danced around the kitchen.

We shared a lovely meal, and once again I'm reminding of just how lucky I am.

I'm now headed out to by a 500+ million dollar lottery ticket. If I can win the lottery once by meeting my husband, maybe, just maybe I can win again!

5 comments:

  1. Love this and the image it gives of your relationship. Just finished writing mine before reading yours, and again we've hit the same topic for our slice... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet story. In my next life my husband will cook for me too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this moment you captured in your slice. Just wonderful. Felt like a fly on the wall reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz--You hit the jackpot, but so did your husband...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so cute! You and Tracy both wrote about your awesome husbands today! :)

    ReplyDelete