Tuesday, March 19, 2019

19 of 31: Breakfast with the Girls

I have been longing for The Shack, a local breakfast/lunch joint with hilarious menu items such as Love Me Now, Hate Me Later, Starchy & Cluck, Mommy, Where Does Bacon Come From?, and my personal favorite, Make a Grown Man Cry.

Since my husband is underwhelmed by this local eatery, I invited my dear friend Susan and her three daughters to breakfast since we are all on spring break.

As soon as we arrived, her girls (ages 10, 7, and 5) spilled from her minivan chattering all at once. Her oldest couldn't wait to show off her newly pierced ears. A prize for having made it to the double digits. Her middle daughter regaled me with stories of Legoland, and I must admit, I am now plotting a trip with my own niece and nephew just so I can check out the wonder of legos myself. And her youngest took a bit to warm up. The hot chocolate topped with a mountain of whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and chocolate chips seemed to help that process right along.

We discussed a myriad of topics including books, skiing, play auditions, and fortnite dances (the girls are not allowed to play the game, yet the youngest showed off the floss and the hype after finishing her hot chocolate).

It was a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast.

Things I realized on the way home:
1. I should have asked for a go box rather than finishing my entire breakfast - I'm stuffed and finding it hard to get motivated to pick up sticks in the yard.
2. Though I didn't get to talk as much as I might have liked with my friend, I found her chatty daughters endearing and energizing. The joy they found in sharing stories with someone who hadn't heard them had them competing for my attention, and I rather enjoyed that.
3. I hope I am lucky enough to share breakfast with the girls every spring break!

Now it's time to work off The Kitchen Sink, my delicious and filling breakfast, by picking up sticks and gumballs. Yay spring!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting names for the dishes. The playful menu is inviting. I like how you structured the slice with the narrative at first and then the list of realisations in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a sweet adventure. I love that you found the girls to be "endearing and energizing." Go, girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gumballs. My backyard is full of them. I'll send you my address because after you pick up your yard, you'll be so eager to continue the momentum. ;)

    Liz--I'm so glad you got to be fought over by three little girls and on top of that, you had a delicious breakfast. Enjoy the rest of your spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to be around such lively, energetic kids! They always inspire something!

    ReplyDelete